Statewide Social Studies Professional Development
The Iowa Department of Education provides two days of social studies professional development in every AEA each year. Check out the 2017-2018 Statewide Social Studies Professional Development Flyer for information on this year’s professional development opportunities. Contact your AEA social studies contact listed below with questions. If your district is interested in being trained on using the professional development email Stefanie Wager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Central Rivers||Marcia Knuppemail@example.com|
|Mississippi Bend||Dan Nietzelfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Grant Wood||Carol Cassellsemail@example.com|
|Great Prairie||Evan McCormickfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Green Hills||Andrea Dankeremail@example.com|
|Northwest||Judy Sweetman and Mona Yanacheakfirstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com|
|Prairie Lakes||Leslie Prallefirstname.lastname@example.org|
Statewide Social Studies Professional Development Webinars
Iowa Core Literacy Standards for History/Social Studies 6-12
- Module 1: Introduction to the Standards
- Module 2: Overview of the Instructional Shifts
- Module 3: Disciplinary Literacy
- Module 4: Informational Text
- Module 5: Academic Vocabulary (coming soon)
- Module 6: Text Complexity (coming soon)
- Module 7: Text Based Evidence and Argument (coming soon)
- Module 8: Writing from Sources (coming soon)
General Social Studies Professional Development Resources
- A series of videos from social studies classrooms from the Teaching Channel.
- Pedagogical Books for Social Studies Teachers - A list of quality pedagogical books for social studies teachers. Here are discussion questions for one of the books on other list, Discussion Questions for Reading, Thinking, and Writing About History: Teaching Argument Writing to Diverse Learners in the Common Core Classroom, Grades 6-12.
- There are many professional development opportunities available to social studies teachers each summer.